Industrial Engineer- Flexographic Printing
Company: Inland Label and Marketing Services
Posted on: May 26, 2023
Inland Packaging is a local label and packaging manufacturer
seeking a Full-time Industrial Engineerto join our growing team in
our Downingtown, PA location. Here at Inland, we print labels for
brands like Kraft Heinz, New Glarus Brewing, Sprecher's,
Leinenkugel's, and Coors Light. Inland is a family-owned business
(78 years- to be exact) that invests in cutting edge technology and
provides endless career advancement opportunities.
As an Industrial Engineer with Inland Packaging, you will be
responsible for engaging with employees at all levels of the
organization, at all Inland facilities (with a focus on our
Flexographic Printing operations), to aid in improving quality,
reducing waste, improving and simplifying processes, continually
reducing operating costs, and improving the overall effectiveness
of assigned business processes and operations (with a primary focus
on manufacturing floor activities). This position suggests measures
for improvement of manufacturing processes to ensure safety,
quality, productivity on time delivery and cost goals are achieved
while increasing efficiencies and improving company profits. The
Industrial Engineer will work closely with vendors and other
internal and external customers to identify and execute process and
equipment improvements concerning cost, quality, and performance.
This is a highly visible role within the organization and must be
able to build strong partnerships with internal stakeholders for
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to
perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities
to perform the essential functions. This list of essential
functions is not exhaustive and may be supplemented as
- Is a change agent, a champion for continuous improvement
efforts in a manner that achieves buy-in from employees and
facilitates effective and lasting change to improve plant safety,
quality, delivery, and cost
- Uses continuous improvement tools, including Lean principles,
to implement process improvements that will reduce cycle time,
process variation, defects, changeover time, lead time, etc.
- Works with supervisors, managers, and employees to deploy
improvement solutions including procedural changes, line
modifications and other changes to process steps and/or equipment
operation to ensure improvements are sustained in delivering
- Plans, directs, and coordinates manufacturing processes within
our printing operations: Develops, evaluates, and improves
manufacturing methods, using knowledge of product design, materials
and parts, fabrication processes, tooling and production equipment
capabilities, assembly methods, and quality control standards.
- Implement Lean processes in accordance with the organization's
overall vision (Standard Work, 5S, Value Stream Mapping, Problem
Solving, Kaizen and Pull Principles).
- Lead manufacturing process improvements events and other
initiatives for exploring and implementing improvements to
- Develop, document, and sustain standard work.
- Hands on role working closely with production associates and
leaders to train and mentor employees in Lean manufacturing and
quality system concepts, helping them to understand, embrace, and
use those skills.
- Analyzes and plans space requirement and workflow, and designs
layout of equipment and workspace for maximum efficiency.
- Drives discovery efforts of new and improved manufacturing
equipment technologies and formats.
- Confers with vendors to determine product specifications and
arrange for purchase of equipment, materials, or parts, and
evaluates products according to specifications and quality
- Estimates production times, and related costs to provide
information for costing of new products and special projects to
assist in management decisions.
- Confers with management, engineering, and other staff regarding
manufacturing capabilities, production schedules, and other
considerations to facilitate production processes.
- Maintains a positive attitude while helping to drive continuous
improvement through team involvement across all Inland sites.
- Supports and assists in the implementation plan of CI efforts
at the plant level and drives the ongoing culture of CI. Partners
with Plant Operations Directors to ensure CI best practices and
initiatives are shared consistently across all Inland sites.
- Collaborates with internal departments on investigating
Corrective Action events, identifying valid root cause(s), and
developing and implementing effective mitigation strategies that
temporarily and/or permanently sustain process control.
- Leads project teams to develop, implement or revise processes
and procedures that are derived from the CI funnel of
opportunities. Maintains CI implementation schedules for assigned
projects and designs manufacturing processes within schedule and
budgetary parameters. Delivers progress updates as required and
provides documentation that demonstrates the direct link between CI
implementation and process improvements. Documents all project
information in the appropriate formant.
- Develops training materials and provides training to affected
users during new equipment startup, process development or process
changes. Shares training and knowledge across the organization to
ensure industry best practices and strong synergies are being
developed and implemented.
- Performs process audits within operations to assess compliance
with work instructions.
- Supports production control, material control, material changes
in improvement projects relating to scheduling production and raw
- Maintains a safe and healthy work environment by following and
enforcing standards and procedures. Core Competencies:
- Cultivating Networks and Partnerships
- Initiating and maintaining strategic relationships with
stakeholders and potential partners inside and outside the
organization (e.g., customers, peers, cross-functional partners,
external vendors, alliance partners) who are willing and able to
provide the information, ideas, expertise, and/or influence needed
to advance understanding of business issues and achieve business
- Continuous Learning
- Actively identifying new areas for learning; regularly creating
and taking advantage of learning opportunities; using newly gained
knowledge and skill on the job and learning through their
- Leveraging Feedback
- Taking full advantage of opportunities to receive and explore
feedback about own performance (from assessments, managers,
coworkers, internal/external partners, or customers); responding
favorably to feedback and using it constructively to take action to
improve knowledge, skills, behavior, and impact on others.
- Results Oriented
- Setting high goals for personal accomplishment that align with
organizational projects and expected outcomes; tenaciously working
to meet or exceed goals while deriving satisfaction for that
achievement and continuous improvement. Essential Skills and
- Minimum of 5 years work experience in a manufacturing
environment participating in and leading continuous improvement
projects is required.
- Minimum of 5 years work experience in the flexographic printing
- Pre and Post Flexographic printing press application
- Possesses a tenacious commitment to continuous improvement.
- A demonstrated ability in applying Lean Manufacturing
- Strong skills in problem solving, data collection, statistical
analysis, manufacturing quality, and quality principles
- The ability to handle multiple priorities and balance the needs
of each according to business impact. Must be able to readily adapt
to changing priorities.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business
periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or
governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business
correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to
questions from managers, employees, and vendors.
- Can apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and
proportions to practical situations.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and
draw valid conclusions.
- Can interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in
mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and
- The ability to utilize business computer, personal (PC)
computer, calculator, hand held measuring tools, and
- Strong written, verbal, presentation, and facilitation
- The ability to communicate information - verbally, written - in
understandable terms to all levels of the organization.
- Embraces change and pursues learning opportunities
- Provides and welcomes professional, constructive feedback
- Strong interpersonal and collaboration skills involving
interfacing, coordinating and negotiating with cross-functional
teams and leadership at all levels to facilitate improvements
across the organization.
- The ability to work independently under minimal supervision and
be effective in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to effectively manage and complete projects within
- Prefers floor interactions and efforts in daily work duties to
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, PowerPoint,
and Outlook) and possess a general understanding of business
operating systems such as analytics software tools and Maintenance
software / CCMS systems. Must possess a competency to learn new
systems and technology.
Nonessential Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree or advanced degree in Engineering, Print
Technology, Operations or related field.
- Six Sigma Green/Black Belt or PMP certification
Operates in a demanding, fast-paced, people-oriented manufacturing
environment with frequent changes and interruptions, and multiple
project assignments. Works with a variety of people including
vendors, sales, customers, employees, and managers.
Required Work Schedule:
Typically works standard business days and hours. Flexible to
attend meetings or important functions which may occur during off
hours, weekends, and holidays to meet organizational initiatives.
Some travel, overnight trips, and multi-site support will be
required (no more than 25% of time)
Walk, sit, bend, stoop, push, pull and stand; lift 20 pounds; 20/40
Keywords: Inland Label and Marketing Services, Wilmington , Industrial Engineer- Flexographic Printing, Engineering , Downingtown, Delaware
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...