Nursing Assistant - 3 Lasko - Surgical Orthopedic
Company: Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania
Location: West Chester
Posted on: May 16, 2022
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing
the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative
research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine.
Working for this leading academic medical center means
collaboration with top clinical, technical and business
professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone
will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and
reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you
living your life's work?
General Summary Statement
Provides patient care under the direction and supervision of a
Registered Nurse. Performs duties that support the operation of the
nursing unit. Adheres to Nursing Policies and Procedures and
Organizational Goals and Objectives.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Patient Care Responsibilities
1. Provides age appropriate care for the patient population served.
For example, gives consideration to growth & developmental phase of
life, to age related factors such as thermal regulation, nutrition,
safety and functional needs of the patient.
2. Uses appropriate resources for patients with special needs such
as language barriers, sensory problems, altered cognition, cultural
and religious needs.
3. Integrates principles of infection control & infection
prevention into practice.
4. Uses standard precautions and uses personal protective
5. Interacts with the patient in a manner that preserves patient
dignity, privacy, and meets psychosocial needs of the patient.
6. Bathes patients and provides assistance with hygiene. (Includes
baths, mouth care, shaves males, combs hair, and washes patients
hair as requested.)
7. Changes bed linens for occupied and unoccupied beds.
8. Changes incontinent patients promptly and provides appropriate
9. Empties bedpans, urinals, commodes, and assists patient to the
10. Assists patients with meals, feeds patients as needed.
11. Distributes nourishment's as scheduled.
12. Provides fresh water at bedside as appropriate.
13. Measures and records intake and output.
14. Positions patients correctly, align and support torso and limbs
as directed and per patient comfort.
15. Transports patients via wheelchair or stretcher using safety
measures appropriate for patient and vehicle.
16. Uses proper body mechanics when transferring patient during
ambulation and bed chair transfers.
17. Makes hourly rounds for patient safety and customer
18. Responds to patient call lights in a timely manner.
19. Obtains vital signs and weights, and records.
20. Applies chest leads for patients on remote telemetry
monitoring, and performs basic troubleshooting, such as replacing
loose or missing electrodes.
21. Collects and labels urine, stool, and sputum specimens as
22. Inventories patient belongings at admission, transfer and
23. Provides 1:1 patient supervision in Sitter role for patient
safety and suicide precautions.
24. Uses resources and references for reviewing policies and
procedures, information needed to complete job duties.
25. Prioritizes and organizes work effectively within assigned
26. Performs procedures within the scope of the Policy and
1. Communicates patient and unit information to the RN and
interdisciplinary care team in a timely manner.
2. Seeks help from RN when needed.
3. Informs the RN when experiencing difficulty completing an
4. Receives report and clarifies information as needed.
5. Informs RN when leaving the unit for any reason.
6. Accepts assignments and performs as a team member.
7. Introduces self to patient and explains procedures to patient
8. Reinforces information to patients and family such as safety
precautions for falls prevention, visiting hours, etc.
1. Documents patient care in an accurate, professional and timely
manner using Soarian and paper documentation forms according to
policy and procedure.
1. Develops own knowledge via practice, observation, and attending
continuing education programs.
2. Promotes best practice by demonstrating a commitment to quality
3. Promotes innovation and creativity in the practice
4. Serves as a preceptor and mentor for new employees.
5. Accepts constructive feedback about performance or behaviors and
shows evidence of change.
6. Demonstrates verbal and writing skills that are appropriate for
7. Adheres to the Department of Nursing Dress Code.
Department of Nursing and Organization Support
1. Attends assigned committee meetings and contributes to the
2. Communicates support of organizational values and
3. Supports the following organizational programs: Magnet, Hospital
of Distinction, Joint Commission Disease Specific Certification,
and Nursing Councils. Performs job duties in accordance with these
4. Maintains good attendance/lateness standards in accordance with
1. Maintains equipment in working order. Uses equipment
appropriately, follows Department policies for equipment and supply
use, cleaning and maintenance.
2. Performs assigned duties to maintain unit in a state of survey
readiness and maintain quality initiatives. For example, quality
control measures, emergency equipment checks, nutrition area
3. Performs assigned duties such as unit errands, stocking
supplies, returning equipment to Central Supply, answering unit
4. Adheres to unit programs to support patient care such as
maintaining a quiet environment, hourly patient rounds, customer
5. Attends staff meetings on a regular basis.
6. Keeps patient care area and work environment neat and
Education Training and Experience
High School diploma or equivalent. Training and/or experience at an
acute care or skilled nursing facility or student nurse with
hospital based clinical experience.
Basic computer skills: keyboard, mouse use. Ability to complete
data entry on clinical documentation screens. Ability to use email,
and internet. Ability to successfully complete on the job training
for CCH computer programs.
Ability to speak, read, write and understand English.
CPR certification required.
Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) Certification preferred
Telemetry & Critical Care Specialty Specific Requirements
Perform 12 lead EKG
Work Environment and Hazards
Risk exposure to communicable diseases and potentially hazardous
materials and body fluids. May become involved in crisis
Work Contact Group
The Chester County Hospital personnel, physicians, patients, and
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best
care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our
employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive
compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest
prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine
employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission.
Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people
live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer.
Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race,
ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity,
religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital
status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual
violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status
as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable
Keywords: Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Wilmington , Nursing Assistant - 3 Lasko - Surgical Orthopedic, Healthcare , West Chester, Delaware
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!