Sr. Scientist, Cell Biology
Company: West Pharmaceutical Services
Posted on: June 10, 2021
Working at West means having an opportunity to work by the side
of our patients and customers, our global team members and the
communities in which we operate - which all help contribute to a
At West, we are by the side of patients. The work we do impacts
patients' lives each and every day - our products are a critical
part of healthcare delivery and we are proud of the role we play to
improve patient health. We work by the side of our team members. We
come together as one global team to deliver for our customers and
help them address their challenges. We are a diverse, close-knit
community of professionals, where everyone has a voice and
opportunity to learn and grow through mutual trust and respect.
With a 95 year plus history, we have a track record for success,
which includes reported sales of $2.14B in 2020. We serve by the
side of our community. Giving back is in our DNA-our team members
across more than 50 sites globally are involved with hundreds of
charities that have special meaning to them through our West
Without Borders team member-led giving program.
The Applied Research Team within West is responsible for driving
the future of the company by developing innovative products
designed to improve patient lives. This role is tasked with working
on big 'R' research on behalf of the rest of the R&D
organization and will keenly focus on technology fields that are
adjacent and transformational to West's core products.
Senior West leadership have identified Advanced Therapeutics,
such as cell and gene therapies, as a critical field of interest
for the company. This specialist role is for a highly collaborative
candidate who is vastly knowledgeable about the cryogenics of
biological material, and the cold chain, storage, and distribution
networks utilized by advanced therapies manufacturers. The role
will be expected to interface with both externally with clinicians,
researchers, regulators and biotech companies as well as internally
with Sales, Marketing and Scientific teams to identify the unmet
packaging and delivery needs for these new pharmaceuticals.
In collaborating across this wide array of stakeholders, the
candidate would use the insights gained to design and execute
experimental studies. These will include establishing best practice
using current products as well as establishing future advanced
therapy packaging requirements. These will inform West's
development decisions for next-generation containment and delivery
systems to be developed in the coming years.
Suitable candidates are expected to bring a depth of expertise,
knowledge of current developments in both research and industry,
and will make a significant contribution to the R&D Team and
the future of West.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Design experimental plans and project proposals to evaluate
different technologies and ideas and test hypotheses across cell
and gene therapy freezing, storing, thawing and delivery.
- Manage and contribute to complex research projects across
several technologies and a variety of project formats, from
short-term student internships, through to feasibility projects and
- Analyze and evaluate experimental results to make well-reasoned
strategic recommendations that are to be disseminated internally to
inform future product development decisions at West.
- Actively seek out new and emerging technologies and therapies,
track publications, identify and highlight active academics and
keep organization informed of research and industry
- Solve complex technical challenges that arise on both internal
and external projects. Provide new perspectives and arrive at
solutions based on pooling multiple sources of information.
- Provide subject matter expertise across the organization in the
field(s) of cryobiology.
- Collaborate and gain commitment with stakeholders internally
within West as well as externally with research partners (postdocs,
professors and clinicians) as needed to achieve project
- Capture project outputs in appropriate format including:
technical reports, presentation slides, research posters, invention
disclosures or as project permits.
- Travel to select targeted scientific and research conferences
to learn and present out research findings with intention of
increasing West scientific reputation in novel fields.
- Solve problems using own judgement and persevere when setbacks
threaten project goals.
- Participate as team member on various projects within group and
performs other duties as assigned based on business needs.
- Education: Masters in biology, biochemistry, biomedical
engineering or equivalent scientific discipline.
- Experience: 5-8 years of experience, can include time spent
either in industry or graduate school.
- In depth life sciences knowledge including experience, through
either research or industry background, of one or more cell or gene
therapies named in job summary, i.e. understands production
methods, cryogenic storage, underlying modes of action, scientific
- Demonstrated ability to lead complex research projects, can
either be shown in relevant industry projects or via strong
collaborative postgraduate research.
- Proficient with conventional lab equipment used for
cryopreservation of biological material as well as common
analytical techniques used in assessing cryogenic and biological
- Strong interpersonal skills to generate, maintain and grow
research relationships and gain commitment from all internal and
external stakeholders across research projects.
- Willingness to learn and to independently explore new fields of
research, understand nascent technologies and be able to generate
research project/grant proposals with minimal guidance.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and ability to
articulately disseminate scientific research to a variety of
different audiences, from expert through to non-technical.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Education: PhD in biology, biochemistry, biomedical engineering
or equivalent scientific discipline.
- Scientific publication track record and/or conference
proceedings in a chosen field of expertise.
- Existing established North American network of academic and/or
- Understanding of regulated manufacturing environments, i.e.
aseptic and GMP production.
- Able to be aware of all relevant SOPs as per company policy as
they are related to the position covered by this job
- Must maintain the ability to work well with others in a variety
- Must be able to multi-task, work under time constraints,
problem solve, and prioritize.
- Must be able to travel domestically or internationally up to
15% of the time
West is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at
our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion,
color, national origin, gender, sex, gender identity, sexual
orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability
status. If you have a special need that requires accommodation in
order to apply to West, please send an email to
email@example.com. Where permitted by law, an offer of
employment with West Pharmaceutical Services, or any of its
subsidiary or affiliate companies, is contingent upon the
satisfactory completion of background screening and/or a
pre-employment drug screening.
Keywords: West Pharmaceutical Services, Wilmington , Sr. Scientist, Cell Biology, Other , Exton, Delaware
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!