You belong in the Power of WE!
Excellent teachers make excellent schools. That's why we are
relentless about hiring top educators who can provide high-quality
instruction and build authentic, loving relationships with
Position: Teacher - Special Education K-12 - Integration A -
Location: George Read Middle School
State Date: August 2021 (2021-2022 School Year)
Reports to: Principal
Compensation: Refer to current teacher salary scale on District
Work Year: 10 months
To create and sustain an educational environment conducive to
the fulfillment of the District's Mission so that maximum positive
impact on the education of children can be realized. A teacher is
responsible for planning, organizing, and delivering instruction
based on the approved curriculum and Common Core State Standards to
help students move towards academic proficiency.
The requirements listed below are representative of the
knowledge, skill and/or ability required:
- Must be eligible or hold State of Delaware Certification as an
Passed Praxis II for Exceptional Children K-12
Bachelor's degree or Master degree
- Proficient in Technology, Microsoft Office Applications,
- Demonstrates sensitivity to issues impacting various cultural,
- Show evidence of knowledge regarding practices known to be
promoting student learning while shows evidence of knowledge
increasing student achievement
Demonstrates understanding and ability to perform job related
Regular attendance is an essential function of the position
- Acceptable Criminal Background Report and no entries on Child
in the State of Delaware.
- Must be able to teach/serve students remotely and in person
depending on the
needs of their students.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to
satisfactorily perform the essential duties and responsibilities
related to the District. Reasonable accommodations may be made to
enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
- Delivers instruction based on the general education Curriculum
Develops weekly lesson plans that contain all of the required
- Delivers instruction utilizing appropriate resources,
aids, equipment materials technology and instructional
strategies to supplement
instruction and presentations.
- Provides differentiated instruction based on the student's
individual level of
functioning and preferred learning modalities.
- Plans and supervises paraprofessionals, volunteers, class
projects, field trips
visits by guest speakers or other experiential activities and
guide students in
learning from those activities.
- Plans and conducts activities for a balanced program of
demonstrations, and work time that provide students with
observe, question, and investigate.
Develops and implements a classroom management system
- Provides a positive role model of appropriate and respectful
with students and staff.
- Develops, teachers, and reviews clear and concise classroom
Procedures and expectations.
- Follows the strategies and requirements for effective behavior
Non-Violent Crisis Intervention Training.
Assesses students in assigned certification area
- Administers appropriate and required informal and formal
based on student needs and State Regulations(SBAC,ELA)
- Collects and interprets data and utilizes it to modify
and to report progress to parents and the school district.
- Summarizes assessment results and provides information to other
members and administrators for IEP development and/or periodic
- Designs an instructional program based on core curriculum and
adapted to meet
- Uses assessment and programs monitoring data, designated
curriculum as well as the Common Core Standards, benchmarks and
content (Reading, Writing, and Speaking & Listening) to develop
Prepares and implements remedial programs for students requiring
- Works with the IEP team (for identified students) or the
review team to decide what specially designed instruction and
are needed for the student to be successful.
- Incorporates research-based programs and strategies into the
program, which includes Professional Learning Communities.
Focused Solutions, and Response to Intervention.
- Collaborates/communicates with related service providers,
School district staff.
Follows the appropriate protocols when questions, issues and/or
- Apprises all parties who have a legitimate educational interest
in the student of
meetings, concerns, progress and other issues.
- Confers with parents/guardians, teachers, school counselors,
administrators to resolve student's behavioral and academic
- Establishes and maintains a cooperative and professional
peers, support staff, parents, administration, agency staff and
school district staff.
Complieswith Federal, State and Local Regulations and
Accurately completes all required paperwork within the
- Utilizes all available resource materials (i.e. Employee
website, Collaborative Agreement, Professional Code of Conduct,
procedures, School District Board Policies, etc.) to complete
maintain professionalism and to avoid potential
- Cooperates with Federal, State and Local Agency Personnel
Education and/or Special Education Compliance Monitoring and/or
Remains current in certification research, instructional
strategies & technology
- Attends in-service programs, mandated trainings and
conferences, courses, etc.
- Reads journal articles investigates internet resources and
other professionals and/or mentors.
- Keeps certification current and active by monitoring status,
hours, on the DEEDS website.
- Performs other duties/responsibilities as assigned by
The physical demands described here are representative of those
that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the
essential duties and responsibilities of this job. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities
to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of
this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands and/or
fingers to handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk or
hear; and taste or smell. This job inquires repetitive stooping,
twisting and bending. The employee frequently is required to stand,
walk, and sit. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up
to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job
include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral
vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
Why Apply in Colonial
When you apply, you will have:
? The opportunity to teach with a very knowledgeable,
high-achieving and fun school team.
? An innovative and diverse work atmosphere.
? The ability to grow and learn in a considerate, and
open-minded culture with supportive school colleagues.
? Access to new and exciting technologies to use in your
? A competitive salary with generous benefit packages.
? The opportunity to make an impact on the lives of students and
families daily in Delaware.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates who meet the qualifications may apply by
completing and employment application at http://applitrack.com/colonial/onlineapp
no later than 11:59 pm on the closing date. A resume and teaching
certification are required for external candidates and for internal
candidates resume is required.
Applicants needing special accommodations in the application
process of this vacancy announcement may contact the Human
Resources Division at (302)323-2712.
Note: Incomplete application packages will not be
The Colonial School District is a family of more than 16 schools
serving over 10,000 students in the New Castle, Delaware area. We
are committed to hiring a diverse teaching staff to create warm,
joyful, student-centered and welcoming schools. We believe
educational inequity is the most pressing social problem facing
Delaware and we are working to help solve this problem through the
Power of We. The driving force around how Colonial operates, the
Power of we is organized around four driving pillars:
? Early Childhood
? Leadership & Learning
? Access & Opportunity
#teachindelaware #newcastledelaware #powerofwecsd
As per the collective bargaining agreement between Colonial
Education Association and Colonial School District, vacancies are
posted between March 1 and July 31 so employees covered by this
agreement may apply for vacancies in accordance with the
application procedures stated on the publicized vacancy
Procedures: Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as
possible. Interviews and selection of candidates will begin once
the posting has been active for five (5) days.