Company: University of Pennsylvania Health System
Location: West Chester
Posted on: June 12, 2021
General Summary Statement Supports the provision of quality
patient care under the direction of a Registered Nurse. The Extern
seeks opportunities to learn the roles and responsibilities of the
RN. The Extern participates in most aspects of patient care. The
level of responsibility is specified for nursing procedures and
actions in this job description. The Extern uses this opportunity
to gain the skills, knowledge and abilities to function as a
registered nurse. The Extern is to apply skills and theory learned
at school to the clinical settings. The Extern provides nursing
procedures under the direct supervision of a Registered Nurse as
delineated in this Job Description.
The Extern does not administer medications via any route. This
includes over the counter medications as well as prescription
medications. The Extern is to observe the RN prepare and administer
Essential Duties and Responsibilities Clinical Practice
- Provides nursing care under the direction and supervision of
the RN. See the Delineation of Extern Responsibilities at the end
of this document.
- Performs clinical care in accordance with this Job Description,
Delineation of Extern Responsibilities and CCH Policies and
- Provides age appropriate care for the population served. Gives
consideration to growth & developmental phase of life, to age
related factors such as thermal regulation, nutrition, medication
administration, nutrition, safety and functional needs of the
- Uses appropriate resources for patients with special needs such
as language barriers, sensory problems, altered cognition, cultural
and religious needs.
- Ensures attention to patient's physical, spiritual and
emotional well- being.
- Integrates principles of infection control & infection
prevention into practice.
- Adheres to aseptic technique as appropriate.
- Uses resources and references for reviewing policies and
procedures and clinical information. Uses drug references such as
Lexicomp to review medications (NOTE: The Extern does not
- Collaborates with the RN to plan care based on patient's
- Participates in inter-disciplinary rounds. (As available per
- Collaborates with the RN to evaluate outcomes of nursing
interventions and identifies appropriate actions to move patient
toward reaching goals of care.
- Identifies situations that warrant patient rescue and takes
appropriate action, e.g. Rapid Response or Code
- Identifies situations that warrant staff notification such as
Code Armstrong, Code Green and other hospital codes.
- Prioritizes and organizes work effectively within assigned
- Uses effective communication during hand-offs. (e.g. Patient
Centered Nurse Report, transfer report, etc.).
- Organizes information into a meaningful format, such as
- Delegates appropriately to unlicensed personnel and team
- Communicates patient care information to the interdisciplinary
- Provides patient and family education in a manner that is
understood. Uses the Teach Back method for patient/family
education. Gives the patient and family handouts, brochures and
resources that can be taken home for future reference. Uses patient
education videos such as the Falls Prevention video and Transitions
in Care, Discharge Preparation video on the Patient Education
- Uses unit and hospital methods of communication such as CCH
- Documents care provided within the scope of his/her job
description in an accurate, professional and timely manner using
- Requests the RN to review his/her documentation for assessments
and patient care that is done under the direction or supervision of
- Adheres to CCH policies and procedures for documentation.
Professional Role Development
- Develops own nursing knowledge via practice, observation,
professional literature, Knowledge Link, networking and attending
continuing education programs.
- Seeks learning opportunities, asks questions to clarify
- Promotes best practice by demonstrating a commitment to quality
patient care and the profession of nursing.
- Accepts constructive feedback about performance or behaviors
and shows evidence of change.
- Demonstrates verbal and writing skills that are appropriate for
- Adheres to the Department of Nursing Dress Code.
Department of Nursing and Organization Support
- Communicates support of organizational values and
- Supports the following organizational programs: Magnet, Joint
Commission Disease Specific Certification, Nursing Councils, and
integrates their standards into clinical practice.
- Performs job in a manner that supports survey readiness.
- Reviews nursing quality data and identifies how to apply best
practice into own practice .
- Maintains attendance/lateness standards in accordance with
- Maintains equipment in working order. Uses equipment
appropriately, follows Department policies for equipment and supply
use and maintenance.
- Performs assigned duties to maintain unit in a state of survey
readiness and maintain quality initiatives. For example, quality
control measures, emergency equipment checks, etc.
- Adheres to unit programs to support patient care such as
maintaining a quiet environment, hourly patient rounds, customer
- Attends staff meetings as available per schedule.
- Keeps patient care area and work environment neat and
Keywords: University of Pennsylvania Health System, Wilmington , Nurse Extern, Other , West Chester, Delaware
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!